Sunday 31 March 2013

Yamaha SB-2 bass circa 1966/67 very briefly spied on eBay

guitarz.blogspot.com:
This Yamaha SB-2 bass was listed on eBay very very briefly earlier in the month and then mysteriously the listing was pulled. I wonder if the seller had an offer outside of eBay that was just too good to refuse? I'm pretty sure these are pretty rare basses, seing as the SB-2 was Yamaha's very first solidbody bass guitar and bass sibling to the Yamaha SG-2, SG-3 and SG-12 guitars (about which I have written much on this blog already - check "You may also like..." below - the links are sure to come up there!). This particular example in sunburst would nicely match my own Yamaha SG-3 guitar. I was hoping no-one would notice it and it might sell for a nice low bid, but as I said already the auction was soon removed.

There's not a lot to say about this bass really, other than its rarity. Built circa 1966/67, 32" medium scale length, no complicated circuits as on the SG-2 and SG-3, and this example has cruelly had its frets extracted. Really, if you want a fretless bass, nothing but long scale will do. OK, so that's peronal opinion, but they could've done a neater job. On the upside, it shouldn't be too difficult to re-fret again.

G L Wilson

© 2013, Guitarz - The Original Guitar Blog - the blog that goes all the way to 11!
Please read our photo and content policy.

2 comments:

  1. Love those tuners.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Def. cool and I see plenty of SG Yama-DNA. But what concerns me, the fret tangs themselves are an integral part of the neck. Without any backfill material for slots, I'm afraid string tension will have a long term effect compressing the neck toward a concave bow.

    It might be a case where simply replacing them will right the situation, and this is a unique bass so it's worth a try but if it were a MIM P-bass etc., I wouldn't bother, too many intact examples to choose from.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

ShareThis