Monday 2 April 2012

Hofner archtop with a Gibson headstock


I like this slightly bizarre modification of an unidentified old Hofner archtop guitar from the late 1950s. It has now a dog-ear P90 pickup in neck position, smartly outlined in white to recall the white binding - a little bit like a Charlie Christian pickup that P90s replaced around 1950 on Gibson archtops.

It also sports a Gibson logo on the headstock but the photo is too small to figure out how it's done - it looks like a real mother-of-pearl inlay but the neck itself and fretboard are typically Hofner so it is not a neck swapping...

The result is nice and I've considered bidding on this guitar on sale on eBay, but I'm uncertain of the quality of this guitar mod, so I will stick to the plan and save my money for a brand new Godin 5th Avenue Kingpin...

What do you think of this guitar? 

Bertram

© 2012, Guitarz - The Original Guitar Blog - now in its 10th year!

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous5:32 pm

    Hallo,
    Ich habe diese Gitarre gekauft.
    Ich bin sehr zufrieden mit dieser gitarre.
    Sie hat einen super Klang.
    Sie lasst sich wunderbar spielen.
    Ich habe nur wenige einstellungen vornehmen müssen.
    Gruß,
    Tassilo Liebe

    Hello,
    I bought this guitar.
    I'm very happy with this guitar.
    She has a great sound.
    They let themselves play nicely.
    I need to make a few settings.
    Regards,
    Tassilo Liebe

    ReplyDelete
  2. I belive it's a True Blacl Beauty!

    I could only tell how good it is if I here it.

    Regards!

    Saludos desde Argentina

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like a modified Hofner 458S acoustic. Made for the German market from 1954 to 1966. Nice...

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

ShareThis